Commonwealth Games 2018: Things to know about Mirabai Chanu..Saikhom Mirabai Chanu created history on the first day of the 2018 Commonwealth Games as she broke the record and bagged a gold medal in the women’s 48kg weightlifting event on Thursday.
Mirabai Chanu weightlifting has made the whole country proud and her parents are delighted by their daughter’s achievement at the Carrara Stadium in Gold Coast, Australia.
“Not only the people of the state are happy but the whole India is celebrating her win,” said Mirabai’s mother Saikom Tombi.
Mirabai Chanu gave India a reason to smile on Thursday after clinching the country’s first weightlifting World Championships gold medal since 1995. The gold medal was an upset of sorts, considering that Mirabai’s combined lift of 194kg — 85kg in snatch and 109kg in clean and jerk — was one kg over the best attempt of the overwhelming favourite from Thailand, Thunya Sukcharoen, in the women’s 48kg category.
Mirabai chanu’s gold medal is India’s first at the prestigious World Championships since Karnam Malleswari’s medal in 1995.
The World Championships gold is another reason to mark her as one of India’s brightest prospects in the discipline. She has previously clinched a silver at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and a gold medal at the 12th South Asian Games in 2016.
Some facts about Mirabai Chanu
- Saikhom Mirabai chanu age is 23 as was born in 8 August, 1994 and belongs from Imphal East district in Manipur.
- Mirabai won her first gold medal at the age of 11. She has been a consistent performer right from her junior days.
- Mirabai Chanu was awarded the title of Best Lifter at the 2013 Junior National Championship in Guwahati, India.
- In 2016 Rio’s Olympics, it was a dissapointment for the athlete as she was one of two lifters who did not finish her event.
- In September, she qualified for the Commonwealth Games 2018.
- Beside being an athlete she is also employed by the Indian Railways and has a humble background.