Queen Elizabeth II might be the most private public figure in the world. She’s been on the throne for 65 years and has become one of the most recognizable faces in the world, but she rarely speaks about herself and never grants interviews with the media. Lots of people know her only for her stern poker face and her dazzling collection of hats. There’s more to the sovereign than her public appearance, of course. Here are some interesting facts about Elizabeth II, who is the longest-reigning monarch in the world.
Amazing and unknown Facts about Queen Elizabeth II
1. Elizabeth is known as ‘II’ because she is the second Elizabeth to take the throne and become Queen. Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was her mother.
2. Elizabeth was not expected to become queen. The first child of the Duke and Duchess of York, Elizabeth stood third in line to the throne after her uncle, Edward, Prince of Wales, and her father, the Duke of York. But Elizabeth’s uncle, was abdicated in 1936 in order to marry divorcee Wallis Simpson, Elizabeth’s father acceded to the throne and Elizabeth became first in line.
3. The sovereign isn’t required to pay income tax, but Elizabeth has been voluntarily doing this since 1993.
4. For a bill to become an act of law, it must first be passed by both the houses of Lords and Commons, and then receive royal assent from the Queen. Since 1952, the Queen has given royal assent to more than 3,500 acts of parliament.
5. A recent report in the Telegraph suggests that the queen uses her trusty handbag to subtly exit from an uncomfortable or boring meetings. If the queen is at dinner and places her handbag on the table, her staff knows that she wants the event to end in the next five minutes. And if she puts her bag on the floor, it signals that she would like to be rescued from her current conversation.
6. Elizabeth and her husband Philip are third cousins. Elizabeth is related to Queen Victoria on her father’s side, and Philip is related to Queen Victoria on his mother’s side. Philip was born into the royal families of Greece and Denmark, but renounced his original titles when he married Elizabeth. They’ve now been together for 70 years.
7. Every year this family releases a report about the details of all the gifts they’ve received from the public and world leaders during the previous 12 months. The latest gift list for the queen includes some gems: A silver sticky note holder, a bag of salt, a glass cupcake, and pair of deer are just some of the weird and wonderful items she received during 2016.
8. British royals are allowed to wear and use their gifts, but they don’t personally own them. Instead, the items will become part of the Royal Collection, which is held in trust by the queen.
9. Queen Elizabeth didn’t went to primary school like normal kids. Instead, Elizabeth was tutored at home during sessions by different teachers like Henry Marten, vice-provost of Eton College, and was also given private religion lessons by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
10. Both driver’s licenses and passports are issued in the queen’s name, but she doesn’t need either. She is pretty comfortable behind the wheel. She once hopped into a Land Rover and drove Saudi Arabia’s Prince Abdullah around one of her country estates.
11. Even though Queen Elizabeth II is 90 years old, she does not plan to step down (abdicate) from the throne. If she does abdicate, the person next in line to become King is her son, Prince Charles.